Pages

The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul. ~ Alfred Austin

Friday 7 March 2014

Plants, seeds and eggs

Gee this week has gone fast, I can't believe it is Friday already. After having very little work for months now, this week was definitely busier. I have certainly clocked up some kilometres for the week. Also still helping my neighbour as she is unable to do very much at all. Parent/teacher meetings and other appointments and the week has flown by. I did however manage a quick five minute stop in at the garden centre in our neighbouring town yesterday.

I went in specifically for the sprouting tray. Mum had bought herself one a few weeks back and said how well it worked. I did have a sprouting jar from years ago but never had much success with that, and thought the tray sounded simpler. Mum has some other seeds so we can swap some seeds and have a bit of variety. Can't wait to get it started and have some fresh sprouts to eat, as they are so healthy for you.

That quick five minute dash also resulted in a few more plants coming home with me :). A little while ago Dad built a new garden bed for me at the end of the patio. I thought it would be a nice spot to put some perenniels in for some colour and make the area a nicer place to sit and eat meals when it's not too hot. It is still too hot to plant them at the moment, but it has to cool off soon...surely. I have noticed the mornings are a little cooler and it's not as light as it was when I get up. Some evenings have been cooling off earlier too, but still some stay hot well into the night, even though the night is closing in earlier.

Ptilotus exaltatus Joey
An Australian native plant with a profusion of feathery pink conical flowers.
I couldn't resist this one when I saw it and think I will be back for a few more
as I can see they would look spectacular in a  large clump.

A dark blue/purple verbena
A tough and hardy groundcover. The other plant I bought was a Brachyscome called metallic blue
which is more a very pale pinky lavender colour.

I also recently got my seed containers out of the cupboard with the intention of putting some seeds in today. As yet I haven't as it is so stinking hot today, although I suppose it doesn't matter so much for the seeds if it is hot or not, unlike for the plants. Definitely need to wait until it is cooler to put those in. As for the seeds I don't seem to have much variety. I have lots and lots of packets of onions and some turnips and the rest are more summer vegies. Looks like I need to get some more seeds!

A lovely surprise this week has been eggs from our silkies!! These are good sized eggs too considering how small silkie hens are. I thought they had stopped laying completely as it would have to be at least eighteen months if not longer since we last had any eggs from them. I will enjoy them while they last.

Finally just a photo of Jess. Not really supposed to be up on that cabinet, but she seems to like sleeping up there when it is really hot. She was sound asleep when I saw her, but she seemed to know the camera was pointed her way and woke up.

I would like to thank everyone that left comments on my last post. I had great fun joining in and have lots of ideas swirling around in my head. It is great to find so many like minded people who also care about their family's health, the health of our planet and love gardening. Looking forward to lots more reading and doing!

I keep getting muddled up and thinking today is Saturday, not sure why I am one day ahead of myself. Anyway I hope everyone has a great weekend and that the weather is neither too hot nor too cold :).

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flower pics! Fresh eggs are the best...still waiting for our pullets to start laying (a bit young). Love your cat pic...she looks deep in thought! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you for visiting and for your lovely comment. Nothing beats being able to collect your own fresh eggs from happy hens!! Hopefully it won't be too much longer before you are also able to enjoy your own eggs :-) Yes Jess is good at that I am in deep thought look lol!!

      Delete
  3. My husband bought me a sprouting tray a couple of weeks ago. I am looking forward to having fresh sprouts in my salads and sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Heather, I hope you enjoy your sprouting tray (and sprouts) as much as I have been enjoying mine. It is great fun (and tasty) trying out sprouts you might not have tried before :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting The Birds In The Bush, I love reading your comments.